The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Monday fixed May 14 for the arraignment of four directors at the National Theatre for allegedly receiving N500,000 each from a Federal Government contractor.
The alleged offence violated the Code of Conduct Act.
The defendants are – former Acting General Manager/Chief Executive Officer of the National Theatre, George Ntanta, Director of Business Development and Events Management, Abiodun Abe, Director of Engineering and Technology, Ndubuisi Nwogu and Director of Planning, Research and Strategies, Doris Okafor.
Prosecuting counsel, Dr. Celsus Ukpong, said the defendants, had in January 16 last year, being public officers, accepted N500,000 each from Market Execution Solutions Limited, a commercial firm which had a contract with the Federal Government.
The prosecution said the accused persons accepted the money “on account of transactions entered into on behalf of the Federal Government” with the firm in the discharge of their duties.
The alleged offence is contrary to section 10 (1) & (2) of the Code of Conduct Act and punishable under Sections 1 (2) and 10 (1) (a) of the Recovery of Public Property (Special Provisions) Act.
Their arraignment was stalled due to Okafor’s absence. She fell sick in court and was rushed to the Military Hospital in Ikoyi.
Defence counsel, Mohammed Adamu, said Okafor, wife of a retired Brigadier-General, had “a medical history.”
“She was admitted at the military hospital. A medical report is here. It was just brought by two soldiers. I apply that the case be adjourned to enable her to be present for her arraignment,” he said.
But Ukpong, a Chief Legal Officer with the Special Presidential Investigation Panel, said Okafor had been in the habit of jumping bail.
He said the federal government made unsuccessful attempts to serve her with the charge.
24 April, 2018